As a Treasury Manager at Carphone Warehouse Group I am responsible for overseeing the day to day cash management as well as foreign exchange, accounting, middle and back office operations. Given the wide impact of Treasury activities on the company’s operations, it is crucial to have a strong basic knowledge in areas such as accounting, tax, business law and general economics to make informed decisions. The Certificate in Financial Fundamentals perfectly fulfils this requirement although at first glimpse the breath of learning material may feel rather daunting. However, the study materials are very well structured and enable a smooth progress from one subject to another as the course advances. The course has equipped me with strong foundations on which I can now build a more detailed knowledge base.
Certificate in Financial Fundamentals (CertFin)
How you study
Online distance learning with dedicated tutor support
4 modules (see exemptions)
Duration & study time
6 months; 200 study hours
4 written exams (5 hrs total)
Enrol as a standalone Cert
Enrol as part of AMCT
Start Apr 15: Exam 6 Oct 15
15 Mar: Oct exam sitting
The essential foundation for corporate treasury – financial & management accounting, economics & statistical analysis, corporate tax and business law
CertFin equips you with a framework for analysing commercial activity, providing insight into accounting, corporate taxation and law to understand how they apply to corporate treasury and business transactions. By the end of your studies you will have an understanding of the financial principles and techniques that underpin treasury and corporate financial management.
Is this qualification for you?
CertFin will deliver on your career needs and goals if you are:
- Considering a career in treasury or corporate finance and need a formal education in business or finance.
- In the early stages of your career and need to consolidate your basic business knowledge and improve your analytical skills.
- Working in a financial institution where you need to understand your corporate customers better in order to deliver value-added solutions to meet their needs.
Why take this qualification?
- To gain a clear understanding of the business context of treasury activities that you can put into use immediately in your current role.
- Gain confidence in your interactions with your finance, tax and legal colleagues.
- Enhance your career and employability prospects with a certified professional qualification from the leading chartered provider of international treasury education.
What will you learn?
- Identify and use financial information relevant to treasury by reference to financial statements (publically issued and management accounts).
- Apply analytical and statistical techniques essential to decision making in business.
- Recognise when to involve your tax colleagues in your planning based on your understanding of the principles of taxation in different countries.
- Understand the potential legal implications of the transactions you enter into during your working day.